Saturday, March 14, 2009

Speed Sandwich

I had a good run yesterday: a quick 5.2 miles (@ 7:24/mi) sandwiched between a warm-up mile & a cool-down mile. I hopped in the car right after my run & a quick drink of water to measure some of my "loops" that I use for higher mileage runs. I had a pretty good idea of their distances, but wanted to know for sure, & was pleasantly surprised to find that I've been running 1-2/10 of a mile further per loop than I thought, so my times have been a little faster than I've recorded.

Today I did my long run of 10 miles (@ 8:33/mi)--now the longest run I've ever done. It was a crisp 25 degrees, but nice and sunny with very little wind. It felt so weird to stop running after going for so long!

I'm going to call Katie today to see how she did on her run last night. GO KATIE!!!

-Alli

3 comments:

  1. I can't decide which is more impressive 7:24/mile or being able to keep at it for 5 miles!

    I have some questions about hydration for you, did you do the entire 5 miles without drinking? How often do you stop for water in general? Inquiring minds want to know!

    I'm glad you set this blog up, it's very inspiring for us beginning runners. Keep up the good work!

    love to you and Katie,
    Espy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, thanks Espy!

    I've been told by friends that have done triathlons that you should start hydrating after about 45 min. I'm sure that can vary from person to person, & also with extreme heat. I don't drink at all on runs of 6 miles or less, but that's just what works for me. For longer runs, I leave a water bottle on my porch & stop for a few sips after 4-5 miles, or Cliff rides his bike along side of me & graciously holds the bottle for me. I have a hydration belt but can't stand the sloshing/weight...it's only for when it's super hot out & I don't have Cliff's help.
    I'm now going to hydrate with Gatorade (just a few sips a time or two) for my 8+ mile runs & see how that goes.
    Hope this helps you a bit! There are really good articles about hydration & training for all levels on runnersworld.com too, if you have a moment, but please feel free to post questions here any time :)

    Love,

    Alli

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Alli! That's super fast! Very impressive! As far as hydration goes, while doing race pace, people should hydrate about every 15 minutes, though I rarely drink anything during a 5K race. While training, I've never really hydrated when running any distance less than 8 miles, unless it was super hot out. My buddy Tim, who has run many marathons and ultras, doesn't drink anything during runs up to 10 miles when the weather's not hot. I think he should, but doesn't because he doesn't want to lug a water bottle. When I was running long (10 miles or more) consistently, I would wear a water bottle belt (bottle is cradled in the small of your back), and I was surprised to find that I got used to carrying quite quickly. I'd recommend it.

    ReplyDelete