As I ran amidst the swirl of wind and fluffy snow, I likened today's elements to that of a snow globe. I blinked back the snowflakes that pelted my eyes and began to think my in through the nose/out through the mouth technique inappropriate for this sort of weather, as the occasional flake flew up my nose (who knew it possible??). I was able to see and feel the gusts' change in direction, and tried to make up time when the wind was at my back, without a lot of success. Thankfully I only had to go 4 miles. I was able to keep my moral up by telling myself "this is good for me" and "the faster I run, the faster I'm done." Barely better than a treadmill, but I'm glad it's over and will appreciate nice weather all the more!
My other first: En route to my leg, I somehow managed to graze 1.5-2" of my hip with my razor. Very minor, but what the heck?!?
-Alli
Friday, February 20, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Hey Guys! Keep it up! I'm proud of you both. Alli, I hope Shobha's still doing well on the mend. Kate, I'm glad to hear you were under your 2-mile time last week! Good Job.
ReplyDeleteBen
Hi Alli and Kate! Alli, I hope Shoba's still healing well. As far as shaving for you, ouch! Try not to be a scar twin with Shoba!
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like you had one of those "extreme runs" the last time out. I've had my fair share, and I have to say, they make for great stories, and may actually build confidence when you're running in other conditions.
Kate, where's your post? I'll give you a little bit of a hard time since we talked on Friday and you said you'd be posting. Just stay active, and get the mileage in you can. Alli, I was telling Kate about Jeff Galloway's run-walk strategy. He recommends a cycle from the very beginning of a training run or race of five minutes of running, one minute of brisk walking. My friend Meagan has used this method for a marathon and a couple of halves quite successfully. I'm sure there's more info. on the Runner's World website.
I did a bit of strength training one day this week and ran three times for a total of 10.5 miles (longest run was yesterday--4 miles at around a 7:50 pace). I have some work to do to improve my conditioning after my almost month-long layoff!
Happy running!
Alli, you're my hero! <3
ReplyDelete